Target Gift Card Exchange: Trade In Unwanted Gift Cards
Target does it all. Literally. Groceries, shoes, clothing, and more. They even offer a trade-in program for your unwanted gift cards. Here’s what you need to know, including frequently asked questions about the program.
What is the Target Trade-in program?
Target’s trade-in program allows you to exchange unwanted gift cards, with a balance, for a Target gift card. This program is only available in-store.
How does the gift card exchange work?
- Visit the Target trade-in program page on target.com to see if they will accept the gift card you're looking to exchange.
- Find a Target store near you that participates in this program.
- Once you're at a Target store, head over to the Electronics department and ask to speak with a store associate.
- Have the employee scan the gift card you don't want. They will tell you how much they can give in exchange for a Target gift card.
- Get ready to do the gift card swap...or not. If the exchange offer isn't right for you, consider other options like selling your gift card or trading it in at a different retailer.
How much can I get for my unwanted gift card?
Target does not disclose the values and requires an in-store visit for more information. Be mindful that you will not receive the entire value of your gift card. For example, you may only receive a $15 Target gift card in exchange for a $20 Home Depot gift card.
Are there restrictions on which brands I can exchange?
Yes, but not to worry. There are over 100 store and restaurant gift cards Target will accept like Best Buy, Olive Garden, Macy’s, and Panera Bread.
I'd rather get cash instead. Will Target give me cash for my gift card?
While Target will not pay you cash for your unwanted gift card, you can easily sell your gift card online instead. Luckily, you don’t have to go far to find out how!
Let Gift Card Granny find you the best offer from all the gift card exchanges. Payouts can range between 60 to 90 percent and come in the form of cash, check, ACH or PayPal. Desirable brands, such as Walmart can sometimes receive up to 90% cash back. While you can find a gift card exchange kiosk at the grocery store or in the mall, selling your gift card for cash online usually provides the biggest payout.
Granny Tip: Review step-by-step details for selling your gift cards for cash.
Have you tried Target’s gift card exchange? Tell us about your experience in the comments below.