How To Get An Amazon Student Discount
Oh, Amazon. What would we do without you?! No matter how much we spend you always keep us coming back for more. Amazon is relied on for many of our shopping needs. It’s a great way to compare prices, read reviews and find products you couldn’t imagine in your wildest dreams (for example, this).
Believe it or not, the Consumer Intelligence Research Partners reports that nearly half of U.S. households have an Amazon Prime account. How many of those households are overpaying for their membership? Are you one of them? Luckily you may be eligible for a discounted membership fee thanks to Amazon Prime Student.
What is Amazon Prime Student?
Amazon Prime Student is a membership program available to those who are currently enrolled in a college or university.
Members receive a free six-month trial. Perks include:
- Free two-day shipping
- Prime Photos (unlimited storage)
- Prime movies and TV shows (unlimited streaming)
So what happens when the free trial is up? Prime Student members receive a 50% discounted membership fee for four years or until graduation. With Prime Student, you’re looking at a yearly rate of $59.
How do I join Amazon Prime Student?
Sign up is easy and requires a valid .edu email address.
- Visit Amazon’s Prime Student signup page
- Click on the ‘Start your 6-mont trial’ button
- Provide your .edu email address and expected graduation year
- Be on the lookout for an email with a verification link to compete the signup process
You don’t need to have your .edu email address linked to your Amazon.com account. Only the initial verification email will be sent to your .edu email address.
Are you in school but don’t have a .edu address? You can still obtain a Prime Student membership with a few extra steps. Send one of the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photo of your student ID (with expiration date)
- Copy of your current semester tuition bill
- Transcript that includes your name and school’s name
- Acceptance letter (enrollment date required)
Be sure to keep an eye on your anniversary date. Prime Student membership automatically rolls into an Amazon Prime subscription (and Amazon Prime price) once you graduate or when the fourth year of your Prime Student membership is up. And don’t forget that you can receive $10 when you refer a friend!
On the hunt for more deals for students? Check out this list of 100+ discounts on electronics, entertainment and clothing!